Wells Fargo will fund a new $100 million mortgage borrower assistance fund, following a federal judge's final approval of a large settlement agreement.
U.S. District Judge Trina Thompson OK'ed the terms last week, which
The program will assist low- and moderate-income borrowers currently residing in, or purchasing property in low- and moderate-income census tracts, according to the settlement. Those tracts cover dozens of the nation's largest metropolitan areas, and the program will last for a minimum of three years.
The deal and its terms were previously announced last September, and Thompson granted preliminary approval to the settlement in January. The sides have an August deadline to file a declaration to the court explaining the status of the program.
According to a law professor who provided an expert analysis of the settlement in a case filing, the $100 million program could result in additional mortgage origination volume for Wells of up to $2.5 billion.
Wells, despite
"Today's settlement launches a new program that will provide down payment and closing costs assistance to thousands of low- and moderate-income borrowers and help them obtain the benefits of homeownership," said Mark Molumphy, partner at Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, in a statement Friday on behalf of plaintiffs.
A spokesperson for Wells Monday said the company is pleased to have reached a settlement.
Wells' mortgage litigation history
The recently finalized deal quells some of the legal heat the bank has faced this decade regarding
After several similar complaints were consolidated, a federal judge last August denied those plaintiffs'
Earlier this year, separate plaintiffs also filed a renewed class action complaint against Wells Fargo
The lender denied the renewed accusations in a California federal court earlier this month.